Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Last Demonstration? Maybe!

At the Bastille noise doesn't startle me.  It is always noisy here. But when it turns quiet, like it did yesterday afternoon, that gets my attention.

I was sorting through some papers, making a pile to throw away, and all of a sudden I didn't hear anything outside.  I looked out and there was not one vehicle (other than a bicycle) on the round-about that circles the column.



Every street into the Bastille was stopped. (I can't even imagine what that does to all of the busses!) It's the only time since I've lived here that I felt like I could safely walk out to the column. 

And eventually the crowd came...........in a parade, with a band playing When the Saints Go Marching In, from the Marais.  Some carried flags and some carried large white umbrellas. And there were those huge helium balloons. 






I don't have a clue what they were demonstrating about (as usual), but a big crowd marched up the steps of the Opera, they displayed their signs, and it was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment